Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Is it time to give Paperport another chance?

Interesting article at Law.com regarding the features of version 12 of the venerable Paperport.  I was a Paperport and OmniPage advocate from about Version 5 of Paperport through the early Nuance acquisition when both products began to show a plague of reliability issues.  Versions 6 through 8 or 9 were a core component for small workgroup paperless toolkits at the time.  I supplemented select users with OmniPage when stronger capabilities were needed.  Starting with Paperport 9 and OmniPage 12 or there abouts, I noted a trend of reliability problems and crash reports from users, some of which could not be solved even with a reinstall.  I even experienced them myself.  Since, my recommendation has been Readiris Pro for heavy OCR lifting, but I have yet to find a tool as useful as Paperport for scanning, pulling and reordering pages from PDFs of any type or easily reducing the color depth or dpi of scanned docs.  I've essentially just been doing without - keeping a single copy of Paperport installed at the lab for opening old .max files that appear from time to time and the occasional other chore.

I'm wondering if it might be a good time to take another look at Paperport, as living with the severely limited  Adobe Acrobat Organizer is pretty limiting when it comes to reshuffling the pages of electronic docs.

Interesting that their marketing gets a nice lift from the greening of public thought....

No comments: